Sunday, August 16, 2009

First Baptist Church of Monroe

I've been praying alot lately for God to guide me to the right church. Today I felt that he led me to the First Baptist Church of Monroe.

I arrived about five minutes before the service started, sat about midway down in the pews. No one spoke to me, one person smiled.
This was not a very big church and I felt like it was clear I was a visitor. The praise and worship band started singing and we all stood up and joined in. I enjoyed this part; I always enjoy a good praise song. The pastor stood up and asked the congregation to look around and greet new faces and speak to one another. I stood up, and being the odd (wo)man out, I was excited to meet some of the church members. Well, I waited and looked around, and no one spoke to me or made eye contact. Around me, everyone was hugging and laughing and talking and I stood there alone, quiet and shocked. I could feel the tears come to my eyes. Right as the band began to sing a man came up to me and shook my hand and told me his name.

After the song, a woman came to the podiem and ironically talked about the word "connection" for a few moments. She said how as christains it is so important to connect with new faces and really be a connecting factor in someones life. This is of course ironic because no one connected with me.

We sand a song or two, the offering was given and the sermon began. The sermon was by the associate pastor today, as their senior pastor was at a conference. He spoke of the Lord's Supper. The sermon was informative. I was hoping for something a little more. We sang another song and everyone began to collect their things and head out.

A couple was standing at the end of my pew, waiting, and I smiled and thought they were going to speak to me! I was wrong. I stood there and they just looked at me blankly and then they finally said, "Um, can we get by you?" Again, I could feel the tears coming. It was everything I could do to get to the car before I started crying.

Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed. Here I am coming to the house of God, looking to find a christian home and no one welcomed me. When I got home I realized it was just God's way of saying this is not the right home for you. When you are looking to find a home, you don't just take the first one you find. You do your research, you go and visit, it's trial and error. And then, you are successful, you find your new home and it is a perfect fit.

I can't wait to find my new home.

No comments: